Are we feeling it is Autumn yet? As we move into October it feels the seasons are changing. Personally, Autumn is my favourite season with fresh mornings that aren't bitter cold just yet, bright days without excessive heat accompanied by the beautiful colour changes in nature.
The seasonal changes make us crave different foods, clothes (sometimes it's a necessity) and interiors with more interest in cushions, throws and candles on the top of everyone's shopping list as the shorter days give us more time to enjoy candlelight.
In store we have some fab new arrivals including hand-made pumpkin candles in five different tones. We have created displays styling the candles with our pumpkin shaped bud vases and an array of wonderful mini squash & pumpkin vegetables which look wonderful as a seasonal table decoration when displayed with our antique brass trays.
In keeping with the season, here is one of my favourite seasonal dishes...enjoy!
Roast squash with feta, pumpkin seeds and sprouting broccoli.
- 1 large acorn or butternut squash about 1.2kg • 2½ lb
- 2 tbsp good olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g • 7oz purple sprouting broccoli
- 4 tbsp pumpkin seeds toasted
- 200g-400g • 7oz-14oz feta cheese to taste for crumbling
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Peel and cut the squash into wedges or large chunks, then toss in the olive oil, chilli flakes, cumin seeds and salt and pepper. Transfer to a roasting tin and put in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, turning after 20 minutes, until lightly golden and cooked.
- Meanwhile, trim and cut up the broccoli and blanch in a pan of salted boiling water for about 4 minutes, or until al dente. Once cooked, toss with the squash and pumpkin seeds.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and the feta crumbled over the top. This goes beautifully with any grilled meat or fish.
Adapted from The Clean and Lean Diet Cookbook